Some time last week Disney announced what the price of their discounted military tickets.
This is the time of year that die hard military/Disney fans wait for!
That’s right! If you are part of the military (active or retired) and you enjoy vacationing at Disney then you know the struggle. If you love Disney and don’t know about this discount, well then stay tuned and let me tell you about it!
Disney has pretty consistently been a military friendly business. The Shades of Green has been on Disney Property since 1994. Now that may be a win/win for the DOD and for Disney, but it is also great for all military members, but that is an entirely different blog post!
At the ITR offices or I guess they call them ticket offices now, you have been able to purchase Disney Tickets. Now these tickets have savings, but they aren’t huge savings. After 9-11 Disney stepped up their game and started offering steeply discounted tickets. They used to go with the fiscal year (Oct to Oct) but a few years ago they changed it. The Disney Military tickets now run from Jan to mid-December.
If you are a planner, you wait for the ticket prices to drop for the next year so you can start planning! They are now dropping sometime in September or early October. This gives you the 60 day fast pass window if you are vacationing in January! Yipeee!
So what are the ticket prices this year? They have gone up, which is sad, but they haven’t gone up like the general public ticket. Nor are they subject to the new date based prices that Disney announced a few weeks ago.
This is copied straight from the Disney Page (link below)
- 4-Day Military Promotional Ticket with the Park Hopper Option for $241 plus tax
- 5-Day Military Promotional Ticket with the Park Hopper Option $257 plus tax
- 4-Day Military Promotional Ticket with the Park Hopper Plus Option $291 plus tax
- 5-Day Military Promotional Ticket with the Park Hopper Plus Option $307 plus tax
I love that they now offer a 5 day Hopper! I think this is the third year they have offered that! This year all the tickets are Hopper and the options are the number of days and the Plus option.
So now that you have the prices, what do you do?
Where do you buy your tickets?
I get a lot of questions about that, so let me clear some things up.
- Purchase these tickets at your ticket office, Shades of Green or Orlando Military Ticket Office. The thing here is that when you purchase from these outlets they are Tax Free. I believe you can purchase straight from the Parks as well, but why would you want to do that? Disney has to charge you tax. Says that right in the price. And yes, even though Shades of Green is on Disney Property, they do not charge tax. It is owned by DOD so everything (to include the PX) is tax free. So save yourself that 8% tax and purchase before you leave or at Shades of Green.
- Now when you purchase from your ticket office or Orlando ticket office you are not getting an actual ticket, but a voucher that you redeem for a ticket. You can link that in MyDisneyExperience and get your fast passes, but you will need to redeem it at the theme parks for an actual ticket. If you purchase from Shades of Green your ticket is already activated and you can go straight into the Park. A piece of advice, when you link your voucher in your MyDisneyExperience mark that voucher with who ever you link it to. I use a first initial. Then when you get to the park you know which voucher belongs to who. They each have unique numbers that are linked to the person you assigned to them, their magic bands and any fast passes they may have.
- The service member or the spouse are the only ones that can get and activate the tickets. Each family can purchase 6 tickets. So my girls have to have me or Dad go with them to purchase and activate their tickets. Once they are activated they can come and go as they please. (my girls are 21, 22 and 31! They are good to go on their own!). If we purchase a 5 day ticket and only stay 4 days, but the girls go to visit family in Florida and want to use that last day ticket, they can.
- Before you think I am leaving my boys out, they have their own ID cards and get their own tickets!
- These tickets are good for the whole year. January 1, 2019 through December 19, 2019 (no blockout dates). If you are the general public and purchase with your package those tickets expire 14 days after 1st day of use. If a military member goes in January for 3 days they purchased a 5 day Hopper Ticket they can use those last two days in December as long as it is before December 19, 2019. Once you have activated your ticket it is linked to your magic band or your hard ticket. You can see how many days you have left in the MyDisneyExperience.
- Each Military family can purchase 6 tickets. So that means if there are just 3 of you, each person can get tickets twice. That’s right, it is not just one and done. If your family of four goes in March and you decide you want to go again in October you still have 2 of the special tickets you can purchase. Now you can get discounted tickets for the other two at ticket locations (still get at your ticket office or at Shades of Green to save on that tax thing!). The savings won’t be as much for the other two tickets, but it is better than no discount. Disney has also been known to make exceptions for families that are larger than 6. I don’t know anything about that, I just know that they have. You would have to contact your ticket office or Disney directly to see what they can do for you.
That’s a lot of information isn’t it?
Lastly I wanted to show you just how much of a discount these tickets actually are.
These are ticket prices on October 5th.
4 Day Park Hopper $455 + tax Military $241
4 Day Park Hopper Plus $480 + tax Military $291
5 Day Park Hopper $470 + tax Military $257
5 Day Park Hopper Plus $495 + tax Military $307
When you see those numbers you can see the substantial savings. Almost $200 in most cases. You multiply that by a family of four and that is $800. And that is without the tax that comes with the tickets from Disney.
Is it worth the time and the bother to get the ticket from your ITT office or to go to Shades of Green? In my book that is a resounding YES!
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/military-multi-day-tickets-2019/ Here is the link to the Disney Page. It gives you all the legalities. Who can purchase tickets, where and so on and so forth.
I really hope that this helps you out.
Until Next Time, have a magical Day!